Today Apple announced their foray into the social networking world with the unveiling of iTunes 10 and Ping. Ping is being proclaimed as the social network for music lovers and it allows you to follow your favorite artists and your friends so that you can see what they are talking about, what they are listening to, and what they are downloading. On top of all that you will be able to listen to 30 second song previews, stay up to date with concerts and whether or not your friends will be attending. You can use Ping with iTunes on your computer, your iPhone or iPod Touch.
If youâ€™re looking to ditch last.fm or you simply want to try out another social network follow the instructions below to get started with Ping.Â If you have any comments or questions please use the comments form at the end of the article.
Note: iTunes 10.0.0.68 was used for the screenshots below.
1. When you open iTunes click on Ping located under the Store section on the left pane.
2. When the page loads, click on the Turn On Ping button.
3. You will be asked to enter your iTunes sign-in information.
4. Click Sign In.
Make sure you agree to the following before proceeding.
Terms and Conditions – Ping
Visit Apple.com/legal for full text of Terms and Conditions.
5. Check that you agree with the Terms and Conditions.
6. Click Continue to proceed.
7. Enter your information (Name, Location, Picture, About Me, and Music interests).
A. When you click on Add Photo a small window will open that will allow you to customize the photo you choose to use.
9. Select one of the Privacy Settings.
Allow people to follow me – Your profile information and activity (including purchases) will be visible to everyone, and anyone can follow you. You can check Require my approval to follow me if you wish.
Donâ€™t allow people to follow me â€“ You can follow others, but no one can follow you. Your name and photo will appear for some actions, such as writing reviews or adding comments.
10. Click Done to continue.
11. Choose the music you would like to be displayed in your profile (Music you like). You can have iTunes automatically display the music you like, rate, review or purchase, you can set it to manual (by you) or you can choose not to display any information at all.
You can start following your favorite artists or friends by clicking on the Follow button.
Welcome to Ping.