One of the new apps arriving with the much anticipate iOS4 for the iPhone is the iBooks app that was introduced with the iPad earlier this year. The iBooks app on the iPhone will allow you to keep your bookmarks synchronized with your iPad and other iOS devices. In this short how-to I will show the simple steps necessary to have access to 1,200 books (number of search results AO 6/21/2010) for free for your iBooks app on your iPhone.
Note: I used an iPhone 3GS running iOS4 for this tutorial.
Do you know of other resources where free ebooks can be downloaded for the iPad or iPhone? Please post them below.
1. Install the iBooks app for free from the App Store.
2. Tap the iBooks icon to open the application.
3. When the iBooks app opens, tap on the Store button.
4. Tap on the Search icon to open the perform a search in the iBooks store and 5. Type gutenberg into the Search box.
When the results appear you can scroll all the way to the bottom to 6. Show 25 More and you will see that there are 1,200 Gutenberg books you can download for free.
Download an eBook from the iBooks Store
7. When you tap on a book from the list you will be presented with the page above listing details about the book, ratings, and the option to buy it. In this case it is a free book, so tap on the FREE button.
8. The Free button will change to GET BOOK, tap on that button once more.
9. Enter you iTunes credentials and 10. Tap OK.
Your free ebook will download shortly. Enjoy.